this week was interesting. we spent the first part of the week in tacloban, then returned to our area on Wednesday. here are the highlights:
- awesome: the food in tacloban. aka we went to mcdonalds. i hadn’t had beef in months. it was so awesome! the food was good, but just not quite the same. the first thing i want to do upon going home in stop are hires big h on the way home from the airport! also, i bought a package of donut holes. there were 35 of them in the package and i’m proud to say i ate 20 the first day, 10 the next day and shared with my comp too. sidenote: this morning i finally opened the lucky charms from christmas and it was awesome.
- tacloban: i worked with the downtown sisters for a day! they are so cool! i loved working with them. the city is SOOOOO different from my area. and it was incredible to be in tac. you can still see the damage from yolanda. most things have been fixed but not all. we were in some of the poorest houses i have ever been in that day. i thought my area was poor, but the city is even worse. i tried to keep up with the language, but there’s no denying that i don’t know waray-waray haha. so i just taught in cebuano. waray speakers understand cebuano, but cebuano speakers don’t understand waray so well, interesting, right?
- awkward: me buying “men’s hair retain” shampoo that i came across at the store. so far no results, but i’ve only used it twice haha. it was “for him” stamped all over it. hilarious. anything for my hair!
- my hair: still falling out. i seriously have fasted and prayed over this but it continues to fall. my prayers haven’t been answered in the fact that my hair stays in, but instead i have been blessed to stop caring about it. i seriously just DON’T CARE about it anymore. its a liberating feeling. whatever happens, happens. i’ve done all i can do! its out of my hands now.
- i got the first airmail package! thanks mom! it came at the perfect time- while i was in tacloban! thank you!!!!
- i can safely say that i have a testimony about wellness formula. its saved me from getting sick twice now. thanks for sending it!!!
- you know me….highly logical, research based so you can imagine how it KILLS me when sisters tell me to do/not do certain things based off of old wives tales. about 90% of them have to do with food/health so you can imagine how that gets to me! for example, “don’t drink too much cold water, it will make you fat.” yeah. don’t worry i set these sisters straight! in a nice way, of course!
- i have seriously been blessed with the gift of tongues in the past few weeks. its incredible. i used to get so discouraged because PMG makes is sound so simple to learn, just “write down what you hear” and then find out the meaning. i used to get discouraged by this because all i’d hear was “lskdjf;lsdkjf;lsdkfj;sld” but with hard work and most importantly the help of the Spirit, i am a testament that you can learn your mission language! i still have SO much left to learn, and i don’t understand everything, but i’m doing ok with cebuano now!
- pray for us to find new investigators! finding has been rough lately
- true colors are coming out with my companion…lets just say that the warnings i heard about kleptomania were legitimate haha. don’t worry though haha.
- the coolest thing that happened this week was a random guy we OYMed (Opened your/our mouths) coming to church! it was shocking! his name is Mario, 81 years old. we will teach him this week!
- this week was rough for us. but i know this next week will be better. so many of our investigators have dropped us the last few weeks and so our teaching pool is down. so we have been trying to find. but that wasn’t as productive as i thought either! but we continue on, always trying to fulfill the work of the Lord to the best of our ability. but its not our ability that matters so much as its our willingness to let the Lord increase our ability. He will provide a way for us to do whatever he needs us to do. we just have to be willing and obedient!
- i am learning so much each and everyday. i’m sorry that i focus my emails so much on the temporal things that happen each day. i’ll do better to share more spiritual experiences from now on!
i love you all so much! thank you for your constant love and support! i am grateful to be here and to serve with all my heart, will, might, and strength! and its not easy. but we’re not doing this work alone, because its not our work, its HIS work. we’re just lucky enough to get to help HIS work!
love you all,
love, sister brereton!